The Sacrament of Confirmation is a sealing of an individual with the Holy Spirit which completes and compliments the Sacrament of Baptism. The Catholic community believes that through the laying on of hands and the anointing with sacred oil by the Bishop the candidate receives the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
Are you a baptized Catholic adult who has not been confirmed? Each year, many Catholic men and women of all ages present themselves for the Sacrament of Confirmation. If you are returning to the Church after time away, have been without a home base due to frequent moves or immigration, or simply “slipped through the cracks”, please contact the pastor or Mel at 607.434.3920 to reconnect and discuss your faith life with us.
In the United States, the local bishop determines the requirements for Confirmation; the present practice of the Diocese of Albany is:
- A baptized candidate must be at least in 10th grade and 15 years of age.
- Candidates in high school must be active in our Faith Formation process 1 full year prior to immediate preparation for Confirmation.
In the Diocese of Albany, the sacrament of Confirmation is offered to those students in the 10th grade or above.
Here at St. Mary’s, immediate preparation for Confirmation will begin in January with a parent and candidate information meeting and is usually celebrated in the month of May.
Candidates for Confirmation should already be participating in Faith Formation for at least a year prior to requesting the sacrament of Confirmation.
Our program includes prayer rituals, a full day Confirmation retreat, a private meeting with our Confirmation coordinator, Reconciliation and participation in Christian service.
Please indicate at the time of registration if you wish to be confirmed in the coming year. More information on the Sacrament of Confirmation and choosing a sponsor can be found under our “Sacraments” tab on the home page.
What should I look for in a sponsor?
The choice of a sponsor, though an honour for that person, is primarily a responsibility to walk with the candidate as they journey toward the reception of the Holy Spirit in Confirmation. Therefore…
- A sponsor must be a practicing Catholic who has received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Eucharist..
- The person must be a minimum of 16 years of age, though a mature Christian might be a better choice, having had experience in living the Christian life and prayer.
- May be the same as your Baptismal sponsor (your godparents), but must be someone other than a parent.
- If married, must be in a valid sacramental marriage in the Catholic Church.
- The person should be someone with whom you are comfortable talking and discussing your spiritual life and journey.
Do I need to choose a Confirmation name?
You may choose an additional name for Confirmation or affirm your Baptismal name. If you choose a name at the time of Confirmation, it is usually that of a Saint whose characteristics you desire to emulate and incorporate into your Christian life.